Friday, February 24, 2012

I'm BACK! With brittle!

Oh my God, I can't believe how long it's been since I've been able to post via laptop.

I'M SO FRIGGIN' EXCITED.

And I wanted to post the awesome peanut brittle I made for the dad-in-law. Because he's speshul.

Yes. I meant to spell it like that.

And I only have 5 pictures of this. So you get no starter picture...

Just the information that this stuff can cause some serious damage to your teeth. But it's totally worth it.



Teeth Pillaging Peanut Brittle

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 c. peanuts
2 tbsp. softened butter
1 tsp. baking soda

Grease up a baking sheet REALLY well. This stuff will stick.


Over medium heat, pour your sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water into a bowl. Mix it up and let it boil. Make sure you keep mixing it.


Once the sugar is dissolved...


...add the peanuts. Please keep in mind through all this that things with high sugar contents heat up QUICK. Keep stirring so you don't burn anything.


Pop a candy thermometer on there and keep mixing and cooking until it's at 300 F. If you don't have a candy thermometer, then..honestly, I suggest you get one. You could test it in COLD water for it to be brittle threads, but I don't have good luck with that test.

Once it's at 300 F, mix in your butter and baking soda, QUICK. This is going to harden faster than you may think. Slap that mix onto your greased baking sheet and stretch it with forks, or your mixing spoon if you prefer.


Then let it cool, harden, and set. Once that's all done, break it apart and eat the crap out of it.

It's super delicious. My way of eating it is sucking on it until the peanuts are all that's left and then I eat the peanuts. But I'm weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment