Friday, April 6, 2012

"Whoopehhh."

"Hey look! My mom's here!" 
"Whoopehhh." 

Name that movie.

Okay, so being from the northeast (Pennsylvania, to be exact) really instills a lot of things into your mind.

1. Amish people are people, too. This means that, yes, they deserve their own special parking area for their horses and buggies.

2. Knobles is a place you will never be too old to enjoy.

3. Turkey Hill sells THE BEST TEA EVER. If I could get my hands on a couple gallons of orange tea right now, I'd be a happy girl. But it has to be the Turkey Hill kind. None of the others taste right.

4. Whoopie pies are good anytime, anywhere. And that's a fact, Jack. 


I haven't had these babies in SO long. Honestly, I'm more of a fan of the cookie part, but that's just me. I've tried many different recipes for these, but the best whoopie pies you'll get are from random small restaurants...if you want to call them that. 

Here's the most recent recipe I tried. I LOVED the cookie part. The innards could use some work, though.




Makes You Wanna Scream Whoopie Pies

2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 c. sugar
5 tbsp. dark cocoa powder
1 c. milk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350.

Beat the eggs like they owe you money.


Add the milk and vanilla.


And then the shortening. It's going to look chunky.


In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.


Gradually add the dry into the wet and mix it until it's completely combined.


Grease a cookie sheet. I'm using simply wax paper because a certain freaking cat ripped apart my silicone baking mat. I was almost to Kim Jong Il pissed about that one.


Drop your batter onto the cookie sheet in spoonfuls and kinda level the tops. They don't spread much, so what you see on the sheet is what you're gonna get.


Bake for about 10-12 minutes. You want to be able to insert a toothpick into them and have it come out clean.


Let them cool completely on some racks.


Once they're cooled, I like to match them up to the best side they can get, so I'm all ready to glob on the innards.


Innards

1 1/2 c. marshmallow fluff (I would add a bit more of this, but tweak it how you like it)
1 1/4 c. shortening (I could do without this much, but tweak it to your liking)
1 c. powdered sugar (I would add a bit more of this, but again adjust it to what you want)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Seriously, taste this as you go and add things little by little. You can ALWAYS add, but can't always subtract.

Cream your shortening and fluff together.


Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla.


Mixmixmix until it's all fluffy goodness. Slap it between two cookies and dig the eff in.


And please. No "gobs" here. They're friggin' whoopie pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment