Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fat Kid Night.

I posted..less than 24 hours ago about taking a blog hiatus. And I guess my choice of wording is wrong. It's more of a "come and go as fit" situation.

The amount of stress in my life is still at high, and *gasp* I'm out of crafts to do at the moment to take my time off of it. So, tonight I claimed myself to a Harry Potter marathon and baking.

And these cupcakes are totally worth not having a craft to do.


I guess they're a craft in themselves.
You know your mouth is watering.



Simple White Cake

2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
4 egg whites
food coloring (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350.
Cream the shortening and sugar together.


Then add the milk, vanilla, and egg whites.


Mix it until you can't see the whites anymore.


I know. It looks gross right now. But bear with me.
Add the salt and baking powder and mix, and then add the flour one cup at a time. Mix until it's smooth.


Looks better, right?
You can pour it into two round pans, or a 9x13, and bake, but I took the optional route.
I separated the batter somewhat equally...


...added food coloring...


...and decided to bake...


...CUPCAKES!


Rainbow cupcakes, to be exact.


Purple, blue,...


...green, yellow,...


...orange, and red. That way, when you bite into them, the rainbow is right.


Despite having overfilled the cupcakes, I had enough left over to do maybe one or two more.


That is, until the cat decided to take a taste at the batter. Loki is living up to his name, I'll give him that. NOTHING we do keeps him off the counters. We've tried everything, including putting tin foil down. Um..he ate it. And will still eat it if it's out.

/vent.

Anywho. Bake these for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from them.


Awesome looking, right?


Allow them to cool completely before frosting them with this...

Super Amazing And Easy Buttercream Frosting

1/3 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
4 c. powdered sugar

Cream the butter.


Add the evaporated milk, vanilla, salt, and just 1 c. of your powdered sugar.


Disgusting, amirite?
Gradually add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until it's smooth and..well..creamy.


You can use a spatula to just plop and spread the frosting on the cupcakes, but I decided to take a fancy route.


Actually, I just really wanted to practice using a piping bag. I'm not so good with them.


See?


Not TOO shabby. But could be better.


And they still sit like this. Because Kyle's at work tonight and I'm being a good wife and not digging into these until tomorrow when he's home.

Being the good wife sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment