Monday, October 10, 2011

I may not be a southerner, but I'm cooking like one.

Biscuits and gravy?! I never knew that was a breakfast until about 7th grade after going to Hardee's with a friend. I guess sometimes being from the north faults me, or maybe it's having an asian mom? I don't know. But I'm getting better at this south thing. I'm making tea (seriously, I never drank tea until coming to Missouri), I'm frying a lot more stuff, it's just a culture shock all over again.

But biscuits and gravy. That's something I love now.


And see this? That's bacon grease. I'm actually keeping extra bacon grease in a jar. Did you know people do that?! I didn't. Not until coming to the south.



Flakey Biscuits

2 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 (1 stick) COLD unsalted butter, diced
3/4 c. milk
1 egg, slightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 400.
Use a whisk (or a sifter, or a strainer) to mix together the flower, baking powder, salt and sugar.


Cut the butter into the dry mix using a fork, pastry blender, two knives, fingers, etc.).



Add the milk and egg to the mix and stir until it's a sticky, lumpy mess. Don't overdo it.


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it slightly, not too much, just enough for it to all come together. Roll it out to about 1/2 in. thick.


Using a cookie cutter (or a pastry/biscuit cutter), cut your circles out. Place them on a baking sheet. For good measure, I VERY LIGHTLY greased the sheet. You could use parchment paper, or probably nothing. But I like to be sure.


Bake for 10-15 minutes, until they start to get golden brown.



WOOHOO! Now, fry up some bacon!


If you're frying up a whole pack, pour the remaining grease after you're done into a GLASS measuring cup, or jar. But be CAREFUL. The grease is superrrr hot. If you're pouring it into a glass jar, make sure it's not cold. I like to keep it full of hot water until I need then, then dump the water out and dry it off. 



Anyway..

Bacon Grease Gravy

1/4 c. bacon grease
1/3 c. flour
3 c. milk
1 tsp. sugar
Salt*
Pepper*

*These are to taste.

Pour the bacon grease into your pan. Keep it on a higher heat.
Whisk the flour into the grease. It'll be REALLY thick.
Add the milk and sugar and whisk. You can use a spatula or a fork or whatever, but the whisk helps to keep lumps out.
Heat it until boiling. Once it starts boiling, lower the heat to a medium-low. But keep in mind, the higher the heat, the thicker it'll make your gravy.


Start adding the salt and pepper and tasting it occasionally until you get the taste to your liking. Be careful doing this, and please don't burn yourself.


Spoon the gravy over your biscuits and BAM. Deliciousness.

I like to make the biscuits and gravy alongside with the bacon and cheesy scrambled eggs. /drools


No comments:

Post a Comment